What's next at HQ and a look back at a banner year in 2015January 20, 2016 3:37 PM
It's hard to believe that we're entering our 4th year at HQ Raleigh! A lot has happened since we opened our first space on Hillsborough Street, and we're not slowing down anytime soon!
As we go forward, we're on a mission to foster inclusive communities of entrepreneurs who create lasting, positive economic and social impact.
This mission is driven by our 6 Core Values: Be Authentic, Empower Others, Embrace Diversity, Drive Forward with Purpose, Leave the World Better Than You Found It, and Think BIG!
2016 has a lot of excitement in store, both for the HQ Raleigh team and the members who make up our wonderful community. Before we get to that, let's take a quick look back at some 2015 highlights...
- We're home to 290 members at 140 startups -- and that number is growing! We helped to open HQ Greensboro in September, now home to 100 entrepreneurs.
- HQ companies created over 420 new jobs in the Triangle and beyond.
- In February 2015, we partnered with NCSU to launch the first-ever Entrepreneurship Clinic. Since then, the E-Clinic accepted 100 students and 132 project submissions, with over 90 of those projects already complete!
- HQ companies raised a total of $56.4 Million in angel & venture funding.
- We pledged to #EmbraceDiversity with a new core value. Our members include 18% minorities and 26% women.
- We hosted 198 events - including multiple Triangle Startup Weekends, regular kids coding classes, and a visit from Steve Case during the Rise of the Rest.
- 12 startups completed the 2nd Annual Innovators Program, including a new cohort of 3 cleantech teams with Cherokee.
- 8 young entrepreneurs graduated from the ThinkHouse, and 34 new Fellows started the program in Raleigh, at the new ThinkHouseU in Greensboro, the newly launched Duke TeachHouse, and an Innovation House in partnership with Elon University.
- Local resource providers offered over 1,152 hours of mentorship.
- We started a Strategist in Residence program with local entrepreneur and professor, Greg Hopper.
- We launched affordable, online doctors' visits in partnership with RelyMD.
- Our B Corp certification is in-progress, and our team helped draw attention to the NC B Corps movement. So much so that the global B Corps Champions Retreat is coming here this fall!
- We partnered with NCSU and UNC to launch the first-ever B Corps Clinic, helping startups complete the assessment. Vital Plan, Pendo, Lea(R)n, and Vaporware did our pilot program in 2015.
- Jubala Coffee and other local cafes hosted over 134 barista hours, whipping up gallons of free espresso for members.
- We sipped over 24,960 cups of coffee thanks to Carrboro Coffee Roasters and Raleigh Coffee Co.
- Our taps poured 3,120 pints of Lonerider Beer in 2015.
- We leased a 5,000 square foot expansion space across the street from HQ Raleigh. The "HQ Loft" is home to growing companies like WedPics, Source3, and BetaVersity.
- And maybe the most exciting....we started construction at the site of our future 50,000 square foot building!
Can we get a drumroll...?
We've got BIG plans for 2016. Some of them are still under wraps but don't worry, you'll find out soon! For now, here's a quick look at what's ahead for the HQ community:
- We're launching a new "Mind - Body - Business - Community" platform to bring members a curated selection of high-caliber resources, benefits, and opportunities for personal and professional growth.
- We're bringing BACK the Raleigh Innovators Program for a third year thanks to local partners.
- We're putting our 6 Core Values into action. HQ member e51 is bringing women's mentorship and a 2-week women's bootcamp to our space in 2016, and we're working on launching a minority internship program with startups at HQ.
We are GROWING and have a BIG announcement coming in early February.
Want to know more?
Didn't get our original newsletter with this information? Check it out here and click here to subscribe!