Member Spotlight: Wes JohnsonJuly 23, 2014 2:41 PM
Wes Johnson is the Founder of the Lawson Hammock Company, which specializes in lightweight, environmentally low-impact, and adaptable camping hammocks. Their Blue Ridge Camping Hammock was recently patented, and has been rated number one by both Backpacker and Outside Magazines! We asked Wes some serious (and some not-so-serious questions) to help our community get to know him a little better.
1. What is your mantra? Om. Seriously, "be present" or variations of that.
2. Here at HQ Raleigh, one of our Core Values is “Leave the world better than you found it.” What do you do on a daily basis to live out that value? I feel it's the small things that each of us do everyday that compound to make the world a better place. Like, simply being kind and grateful. I try to meditate every morning which helps to keep me grounded and to be the best person I can be every day. And, I recycle and pick up my dog's poop.
3. If you had the chance to go back in time or to visit the future, which would you choose? Tough one, but if I have to choose, future.
4. If someone wrote a biography about you, what would you want it to be titled? No regrets
5. What is one thing that you can’t live without? My dog, George Johnson.
6. If you could start your business over again, would you do anything differently and why? Definitely, too many to list, but that's all hindsight. I could have made my life a lot easier and less stressful by doing some things differently, but on the other hand, I learned and grew from all of those things. So, I change my mind, no I wouldn't do anything differently.
7. What is one thing you hope to accomplish this year (personal or professional)? Professional: Start a new business venture. Personal: Travel to at least one new state and one new country.
8. Can you give us your job description in 5 words or less? (Obama couldn’t!) I sling camping hammocks daily.
9. When did you last sing to yourself? To someone else? Both within the last 24 hours. I sing a lot.
10. Favorite movie quote? "E.T., phone home."