Member Spotlight: Sophia HyderJune 19, 2015 3:00 AM
Sophia Hyder is the Founder/CEO of Papilia, a personalized travel app that provides efficient packing guidance which integrates cultural nuances tailored for your trip. Sophia is responsible for guiding the vision and all facets of the app from ideation to development. Her love for travel and culture has inspired her previous endeavors; In 2012, Sophia founded Evolvemint, a traveler-inspired social luxury brand after working in the international development industry for over 10 years. She has travelled to over 25 countries and will continue to travel and advocate for sustainable practices in fashion throughout her lifetime. This month we got to know Sophia and asked her about her weirdest talents, dreams, and future.
1) Do you have any nicknames?
I have an endless amount of nicknames from a variety of friends and family, but the two that are most used are “Sophia Maria” and “Sophs”
2) If you were to run for office, what would be your campaign slogan?
So corny, but the first thing that came to mind: "Sophia: Wisdom is In her Name"
3) What is your weirdest or most unique talent?
My weirdest talent is being able to move the tendons above the knuckles on my right hand.
4) What is the strangest thing in your refrigerator right now?
Yu choi from a Blue Apron trial.
5) Here at HQ, one of our Core Values is to Be Authentic. What do you do to live out that value?
I believe the only person I can be is me. It’s too hard to be anything/anyone else. I strive to be honest with myself and people everyday.
6) What do you consider to be your greatest achievement so far?
Jumping off the corporate ladder, and following my intuition to start my own business.
7) Do you have a secret hunch about how you will die?
I’ll be traveling somewhere off the beaten path, and I’ll be happy doing it.
8) Is there something that you've dreamed of doing for a long time? Why haven't you done it?
Traveling and exploring the world! I aim to do this through Papilla.
9) What do you enjoy most about what you do?
The ability to live in the moment. Each day is a challenge and a reward because I can see how my hard work will pay off.
10) If your friends were to describe you in one word, what would it be?