Member Spotlight: Michael HoySeptember 15, 2015 2:08 PM
Meet Michael Hoy, cofounder and CEO of BoomboxFM. Keep reading and find out which era of history he would love to travel back in time to!
1. If someone wrote a biography about you, what would you want it to be titled? Founding Father.
2. Do you have any superstitions? Mostly all sports related, but the one my wife hates the most - For all of my teams, I have a "playoff shirt" and I wear it for every post season game. I've never washed it.
3. If you could be any animal, what would you be and why? My dog lives the life. He eats human food, constantly gets cuddled by our daughters and has never spent a night on the flood. Tough life...
4. Favorite movie quote? Al Paccino's "Inches" speech in Any Given Sunday.
5. If you could travel to any point in time, where would you go and why? I'm a history buff and have a weird fascination with the Viking period. Honestly, I don't know why.
6. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? Make sure you're never the smartest person in the room. Surround yourself with people who challenge you and your growth will never stop.
7. What is the biggest challenge to starting a business? The biggest reward? Challenge: managing and filtering all the feedback you will inevitably get...from advisers, customers, even random people. It's your job as the founder to find common threads, asses priority and let go of everything else...sometimes that can be really hard. Reward: When you've managed that feedback properly, you'll begin to see a product/service that has truly been built from the most prominent needs. Watching that scale.
8. Here at the HQ Raleigh, one of our Core Values is “Leave the world better than you found it.” What do you do on a daily basis to live out that value? As mentioned, I love to coach. I try to "lean startup coach" whenever I can. I've been fortunate enough to work some really awesome up and coming companies in during my time. I don't have a ton of experience, but I've made a boat load of mistakes, and I hope sharing those experiences can help others be more successful.
9. If you were to create your own “5 Core Values,” what would they be? - "Imagination is the beginning of creation" - "Empathy paints the perfect solution" - "Test Everything" - "Focus, Focus, Focus" - "Soccer chants, Burritos, Dance parties"
10. What piece of advice would you give to budding entrepreneurs? Don't just belong to your community; be a true, active, contributing center piece. The benefits throughout your startup journey will be short term and long tail, direct and indirect.