Member Spotlight: Derrick MinorMarch 16, 2015 7:00 AM
Derrick Minor, HQ Raleigh Member, City of Raleigh
Derrick is the Innovation and Entrepreneurship Manager for the City of Raleigh. He works with startups and growth companies in Raleigh and connect them to the resources and relationships they need to accelerate their growth. His primary skill sets are building relationships and strategic connections. He wants the world to know that Raleigh is a great place to start and grow companies.
We asked Derrick some serious (and some not-so-serious questions) to help our community get to know him a little better.
1. If you could have any superpower, what would it be and why? I would like to fly. Because it would be awesome.
2. Favorite movie quote? Favorite quote is from Will Ferrell in the movie Old School. ~ “Actually, It’s gonna be a pretty nice little Saturday. We’re gonna go to Home Depot. Buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring. Stuff like that. Maybe Bed Bath & Beyond…I don’t know… I don’t know if we’ll have enough time!”
3. Here at HQ, one of our Core Values is “Drive Forward with Purpose.” What do you do on a day-to-day basis to live out that value? I fully believe my purpose is to help companies grow. So each and every day I look for unique ways to accomplish that.
4. What do you enjoy most about what you do? The people and the community. Being able to build and foster key relationships that helps Raleigh grow.
5. If a crystal ball could tell you the truth about yourself, your life, the future, or anything else, what would you want to know? I honestly don’t want to know the future. Too much knowledge for one person to handle. I like to live one day at a time.
6. In what event would you win an Olympic gold medal? The Pole Vault
7. Tell us about your first job. I worked at a golf course down in South Florida. Worked in the golf cart and baggage room.
8. If your friends or colleagues were to describe you in one word what would they say? Authentic
9. What is the strangest thing in your refrigerator right now? A bottle of Ting (a grapefruit soda from Jamaica). From my honeymoon 10 years ago.
10. For what in your life do you feel most grateful? My God, my Family, and my Friends.